List:       wikien-l
Subject:    Re: [WikiEN-l] Re: [Foundation-l] Most read US newpaper blasts
From:       Delirium <delirium () hackish ! org>
Date:       2005-11-30 19:16:33

J.F. de Wolff wrote:

> Fred is suggesting a para-wiki where arcticles are fact-checked before
> they go live. I would like to propose that as soon as an article
> reaches featured article status, it is semi-protected. Only registered
> users (or even registered users with a good track record) can edit
> those pages. Changes can be proposed on talk by anons and then be
> effectuated by registered users. This will put an editing funnel on
> our most prized content.

I agree that the most obvious place to start is by in a sense protecting
the articles that are deemed to be pretty good and therefore less in
need of edits---these are the ones where the ratio of destructive to
constructive edits tends to be higher.  I would prefer a system that
fell short of *actually* protecting the pages by limiting edits to a
certain group of people, though.  If the issue is whether people will
see vandalism before it's reverted, this can be accomplished through the
proposed rating system in a number of ways.  For example, articles that
have a version rated above some threshold may be default display that
version to non-logged-in users, rather than more recent versions.  If
changes are made that do indeed improve the article, there would be a
lag until the new version is recognized as also high-quality and
displayed; if they were destructive changes, the new version would not
get displayed in the first place.

There are a number of issues for how to work this out, both in terms of
community and logistics, but I do think a way to go is to introduce a
display lag of some sort on articles deemed "already very good", but
*without* actually restricting.edits---instead merely delaying their
general visibility.

-Mark