List:       wikien-l
Subject:    Re: [WikiEN-l] "Fair use" abuse on user pages
From:       Ray Saintonge <saintonge () telus ! net>
Date:       2005-09-25 5:44:00

Fastfission wrote:

>Whether people will read it or not, having a set of concrete resources
>can aid in discussions with obstinate users as well. Resources can be
>forms of authority in and of themselves -- "Look at this, it says you
>are wrong."

Dealing with the obstinate ones, and enforcing rules is a different
problem.  The more immediate issue is getting people of good will to
understand what they are talking about.

>I don't participate in Meta, and I don't know what the gameplan is
>there. And though copyright law applies to all of the Wiki projects,
>it applies to them in different ways varying by their content. Commons
>is exclusively about image and sound media; Wikisource is about
>wholesale textual media; Wikiquote is about what degree of quotation
>is copyrightable; etc. So I think having resources tailored to
>individual projects makes sense, in the same sense that Wikiquote
>ought to have its own Copyrights page distinct from Wikipedia's (which
>it now does).

Certainly the "way" these laws are applied will vary, but we are still
dealing with fundamentally the same law.  If you strip a problem down to
its basics it becomes much easier to see how each of these projects
deviates from those basics.  When sports teams begin to perform
erratically a good coach will take the time to get the players to
practice basic skills.

>The goal of the resources I'm proposing is to focus on simplicity,
>ease, and low-investment (of time, energy, brain, etc.) on the part of
>the user. Whether some users refuse to make any use of it, I still
>think on the whole it's not a bad idea and could be quite useful. But
>it's just one of many such things.

Nobody's saying it's a bad idea.

Ec