List:       wikien-l
Subject:    Re: [WikiEN-l] Re: New fairuse tags: a first attempt
From:       Michael Turley <michael.turley () gmail ! com>
Date:       2005-08-11 19:32:35

On 8/11/05, Fastfission <fastfission@gmail.com> wrote:
> Well, the whole point of re-writing the tag is to make it as clear as
> possible without people having to jump around and learning how
> copyright law works. It is *not* supposed to be fine print, it is
> *not* supposed to require you reading any other page to understand
> what IS a fair use image and what you can and cannot do with it.
>
> Brevity and clarity is good, but forcing people to jump around to
> understand basic things is not.
>
> FF

I do not support, no matter how general, the teaching of copyright law
in a one paragraph image tag.  That should not be the purpose of the
tag.

The tag should clearly identify the image as one that we're claiming
fair use of and under what justification we make that claim.  The tag
may also state that other uses cannot be assumed to fall under this
protection, but I consider that optional, as other users should be
responsible for their own use.

Any links to further explanation of copyright law should be viewed as
merely a convenience we provide for the reader.  Even doing something
as simple as that may be perilous, as it could be viewed as providing
legal advice (by interpretation) if our link chain doesn't eventually
lead to the actual text of the copyright law.

If people want to know how copyright law works, then they *should*
have to look beyond an image tag.  An image tag is certainly not the
place for this kind of instruction, but it can link to such
instruction.

--
Michael Turley
User:Unfocused