List:       wikien-l
Subject:    Re: [WikiEN-l] Re: Wikimania
From:       Cormac Lawler <cormaggio () gmail ! com>
Date:       2005-08-10 12:55:52

On 8/10/05, Delphine Ménard <notafishz@gmail.com> wrote:

> I am sorry to say that as much as I would love to have a full report
> with pictures on one of the projects, I am not sure that pictures of
> people at Wikimania are actually "relevant" to the projects, which is
> one of the first requirements of uploading to commons. That a few
> pictures from "well known" speakers appearing at Wikimania would make
> it to Commons is good, but I don't see how a picture of us drinking
> coffee in the courtyard is relevant to any of the Wikimedia projects.
> Thinking that we can upload anything we want just because it's *us* is
> in my opinion a mistake. Next you know, Commons will be the repository
> for everybody's holiday pictures. As much as I am in favour of opening
> commons to the greater crowd, and lettting people upload pictures that
> are of educational value, even if they are not used in any of the
> wikimedia projects, I believe not all of Wikimania pictures should
> make it there.

This creates a difficult precedent though, because there are
repositories (on Wikipedia) of most if not all other Meetups from the
past. I was going to add a photo of me from Wikimania, with permission
from the owner, to my Wikipedia user page, because I realise there's
nothing on Wikipedia for people to recognise me, which I now more than
ever realise to be very important. I expect a lot of other people will
want to do the same, ie show that 'you were there'. So, I suppose my
question is: should we limit ourselves to just one image which could
be analogous to the idea of the facebook -
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Facebook - or would it be
profitable to include a fair percentage of images (though "not all")
as a record of the event and the participants' part in it? I'm also
aware that wikien-l doesn't seem like the best place to be discussing
this..

> This said, Flickr did operate as a good "side-repository" and I
> suppose we could try and get some pictures from various licences to
> make a full report on the Wikimania Website, or meta, which should
> allow such things, as a "window" to all the projects. I have started
> gathering pics here and there, and hope to put together a full report
> in the next few days, any help/ideas welcome.

So, again, how do we decide which ones are necessary? Commons sense?
Key speakers granted, but there's the whole flavour of the event as
well isn't there? Which was very tasty indeed, by the way ;)

> Best,
>
> Delphine
> --
> ~notafish