List:       wikien-l
Subject:    [WikiEN-l] Re: WHEELER's anti-Semitism
From:       Elisabeth Bauer <elian () djini ! de>
Date:       2004-07-04 1:54:18

Christopher Mahan wrote:

> Yes, and this is exactly why it's ok for Wheeler to express
> him/herself in this forum in the manner of his choosing.

It's not okay.

> I did not mean "being destructive" by hurting other people's feelings
> and motivation.  I meant it as deleting content or damaging content
> in wikipedia articles.

Hurting other people's feelings _is_ destructive. Its contributors are
the most valuable part of Wikipedia, and hurting them is damaging to
Wikipedia itself.

> The reason why I say that hate speech is not destructive is that
> speech itself is strictly communicative.

I disagree. Speech can be used as a weapon, and in extreme cases even to
kill someone. And a person saying things like, to use a drastic example,
"in hitler's times you would have been sent to the gas chambers" should
be banned in Wikipedia.

This mailing list has a long history of wrong accusations of
anti-semitism, but that's no reason not to react on real ones.

elian