List:       whatwg
Subject:    Re: [whatwg] JavaScript Hovers and Back Button
From:       Darin Adler <darin () apple ! com>
Date:       2016-04-14 19:24:19

> On Apr 14, 2016, at 10:38 AM, Arvind Nigam <arvind.nigam@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> I wish to add that this issue is a bit more annoying on mobile: both on
> iPad and iPhone.
>
> Once the webpage loads, it goes into a JS invoked confirm/ok modal that
> would not relent -- not without seeking credit card info or something else
> to let you off the hook. The site that I saw today was somehow phishing a
> *.gov url too, using serious/ even scary warnings with quotes from Federal
> Law / websites... :-)
>
> The only way out then was to delete the browser from my iPad and reinstall
> it clean.

The problem you describe above was addressed by Apple in iOS 9.3 and also in Safari \
9.1 on Mac. That release changed the style of JavaScript alerts so that they are less \
likely to appear to come from Safari, the operating system, or Apple. They look more \
like part of a webpage, and no longer interfere with closing a tab or webpage, using \
the back button to leave the webpage, or using the smart search field to enter a new \
search or website address.

I don't think that's the same topic, though, as what this thread was originally \
about.

— Darin=