List:       whatwg
Subject:    Re: [whatwg] Background audio channels
From:       Markus Ernst <derernst () gmx ! ch>
Date:       2013-04-11 10:20:49

Am 10.04.2013 21:14 schrieb Wesley Johnston:
> > Finally, apps can already solve this problem today - they know when they go into \
> > the background (for different permutations of "background", as Jer mentioned), \
> > and they can pretty trivially mute or pause their playing audio. Most of them \
> > don't.
>
> Yes.... err... isn't this my point? Most of them (that I've encountered) aren't not \
> muting themselves because they think what they're playing is so important that it \
> shouldn't be stopped.

Well I as a user expect to have control on what is playing and what is
muted. If I want to stop the audio or video, I actually hit the stop
button or close the tab. If I focus an other tab or window or
application without hitting stop or pause, I usually wish to continue
listening, while working on something else.

To address your issue, UAs might provide a User setting such as "Stop
audio and video playback when the page/tab is in the background", which
may be eventually overridden by hitting "play" again.

What I consider really annoying about user control is, that video
players usually have no "stop" button, but only a "pause" one, so the
user can't stop the download process without closing or reloading the
page. But this is another topic.

--
Markus