List:       wget
Subject:    Feature request/bounty: Metalink support
From:       "Anthony Bryan" <anthonybryan () gmail ! com>
Date:       2007-06-27 20:47:06

Hi,

This is a feature request for Metalink support in wget. Metalink is an
XML format for listing the multiple ways you can get a file along with
checksums. Listing multiple mirrors allows failing over to another
URL. Checksums allow a file to be automatically verified, and repaired
if there are errors in transfer. You can also add multiple files to a
transfer queue and do other cool things w/ the metadata like only use
domestic mirrors. I'm putting up a bounty for this feature, please
contact me if you are interested. Please note that other things may
need to be done to wget before it is ready for Metalink.

There's more info at:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Metalink

Here are some examples in use. Metalink is mostly used for ISO
downloads, but also for other things...
http://en.opensuse.org/Released_Version#Metalink
http://community.dofus.com/mmorpg/download/full.html?game_id=1&type=metalink
http://curl.haxx.se/download.html
http://eric.jain.name/2007/03/07/metalink-for-uniprot-rdf/
http://wubi-installer.org/ (uses Metalink to repair ISO download)

There are currently about 13 download programs that support Metalink.
aria2 ( http://aria2.sourceforge.net/ ) is the closest to wget, it's a
CLI app.

--
(( Anthony Bryan ... Metalink [ http://www.metalinker.org ]
  )) Easier, More Reliable, Self Healing Downloads