List:       wget
Subject:    ezmlm response
From:       Bruce <desmo55 () bigpond ! com>
Date:       2007-03-15 10:02:06

Greetings to the list!

                                    Here's the story --  if you live in
Australia and are a subscriber to a telstra/bigpond broadband account,
you can download lots and lots of (free/open source) software from a
telstra/bigpond sponsored file server....and....all such downloads are
*free*.
That is to say, downloads from this site are _unmetered_ , which means
the downloaded megabytes do *NOT* accrue on your monthly account
usage/quota. This is really cool -- you can be a subscriber on a low
cost 'capped' plan of say 400mb per month, and still download (for
example) the latest Debian dvd .iso release of some 4.2gb per image
(there are 2), and it doesn't get counted onto your account usage. One
can also request files of Free Software origin to be included on the
unmetered file-server as well, and so I'll extend a big thank-you here
to telstra/bigpond for this facility. Having said that though, there are
problems actually doing it in practise...because the whole site is
http/web-browser orientated, and most all web-browsers (including I.E.)
haven't a clue about what to do with files greater than 2.1gb in size.

The folks at telstra/bigpond are well aware of the problem, and are
trying to find a common resolve for this issue --- in the meanwhile, I
thought wget might be the solution at hand, mainly because it's also
been ported to __win32 stuffs as well as supporting linux/bsd et_al, but
in the attempt I discovered some wrinkles in wget which have prompted me
to join this list and air the story.

For beginners, *does* wget support large files greater than 2.1gb? I
looked and looked through the docs and found nothing to confirm or deny
this question....does anyone know?

Right now....I'll _assume_ wget does support such large file sizes,
(someone will make me wiser I hope if I'm wrong here), but before this
point becomes a possible request for improvements to wget itself,
there's another problem to be resolved first -- NXDOMAINS.
Can wget negotiate this namespace trickery, and if so how?

Any clues, hints or help gladly received...

                                                              Cheers,

Bruce