List:       wget
Subject:    Re: wget with -nc bails out when it finds the first file that already exists
From:       sms () antinode ! org (Steven M !  Schweda)
Date:       2007-03-08 6:22:22

From: "Pete Redest"

> $ wget -V
> GNU Wget 1.10.2 (Red Hat modified)

> The OS if Fedora Core 5. The machine has an Pentium D 930 processor
> (dual core) with 2GB of ECC DDR2 667MHz memory. The system has all
> the updates available at this time.

> I see the note by the version: "Red Hat modified", which is "scary". That
> means that this is not the original release, so that RH may have introduced
> a bug.

   Yes, it is at least a little scary.  On the other hand, my
VMS-compatible version is definitely different (in at least one
direction), so it may be that the best thing for you to do is to get
either the stock source kit and/or my VMS-compatible kit, build an
executable from one or both of those, and see if anyone else behaves
better/differently.  Currently, too many things are different to do
proper blame assignment.  (Could be a wget problem, an OS difference, or
who knows what else?)  I've demonstrated that my stuff seems to work
better than your stuff, but that's only a good start.

      http://ftp.gnu.org/gnu/wget/
      http://antinode.org/dec/sw/wget.html

> Should I post a bug in bugzilla?

   It would be more satisfying to be able to say that some version or
other behaves well, while the "(Red Hat modified)" version is a loser.
In that case, I suppose you could do whatever one does to report
problems to Red Hat.  (For all I know, there's a newer/better "(Red Hat
modified)" version, too, but I'm not a big Linux user.)

   I assume that the normal wget source kit could be built on your
system with no special effort.  Mine would need an extra preliminary
step, something like "vms/vms_name_fix.sh" before doing the usual stuff.
(Wake me if you try mine and have any trouble getting it built.)