List:       wget
Subject:    wget error: symbol not exported
From:       Zhehong Ying <zying () us ! ibm ! com>
Date:       2003-12-22 21:43:01

Hi,

I am trying to run "wget" in AIX.

In my development box (AIX 4.3.3.0) , I installed the "wget" in my home
directory (non-root). All compilation no error. And wget runs ok in the
dev. box.

Then I moved the "wget" directory (sub-directory bin    etc    info   man
share) into a staging box (AIX 5.1.0.0). There is no gcc installed in the
staging box because we can not install a C compiler in this box for
security.

Then by running bin/wget as a non-root, I got errors as

wget/bin# ./wget
exec(): 0509-036 Cannot load program ./wget because of the following
errors:
        0509-130 Symbol resolution failed for wget because:
        0509-136   Symbol strcmp (number 134) is not exported from
                   dependent module /usr/lib/libintl.a(shr.o).
        0509-136   Symbol bcopy (number 135) is not exported from
                   dependent module /usr/lib/libintl.a(shr.o).
        0509-192 Examine .loader section symbols with the
                 'dump -Tv' command.

I have /usr/lib/libintl.a file in the directory.

My question is:

How to fix for such errors without installing gcc in the box?

Is it possible to compile the application and statically link the library?
so that I can just move the executable into other AIX boxes?

Thanks

John Ying