List:       wget
Subject:    Re: [Fwd: Re: bug with tilde in URLs]
From:       driven zen <drivnzen () netfeed ! com>
Date:       2000-02-01 3:06:14

John Summerfield wrote:

> > Actually, I think I was recalling Netscape under OS/2 rather than the
> > command line.
> netscape would do no more than pass it to the other end for interpeetation.
>

> > In a cmd session, it won't even type the tilde or, for that matter, a %
> > sign.
>
> Many's the time I've typed this command:
> cd %etc%
> to good effect.

I must have a problem with my setup.  This and the following statements
are all true about my current installation of Warp4fp8.  I can *paste*
an address with a tilde into a cmd line session, but not type it.  Odd,
but true.  Actually this is in an OS/2 text window.  Oops. :->

> > The standard Enhanced Editor session does not allow the tilde to be
> > typed unless the space key is struck immediately after the tilde.
>
> Were that so, I'd not have been able to prepare my web pages,

Actually, you could still type them, only following with a tap on the
spacebar.  This types only the tilde.  It doesn't introduce a space on
the page.

> > > Of course, users can run bash, pdksh and numerous Unix programs on OS/2;
> > > there are a few fudges required (colons are valid in path names; elements
> > > of the PATH environment variables are separated by semicolons & the caret
> > > (^) functions to cancel the effect of the caret). Users use the HOME
> > > environment variable to denote the directory they want to be recognised as
> > > ~, but they get to set (and change it) as they wish; similarly the USER
> > > environment variable.
> >
> > My experience with using *nix shells/editors is limited.  However, they
> > are fascinating and almost seem to be a language unto themselves.  I
> > have to pull out my copy of Linux in a Nutshell for help at those
> > times.  Maybe one of these days I'll find the time...
>
> they ARE languages unto themselves. bash has most of the functionality (in
> an arcane sort of way) of REXX>

>From the little that I've experienced and observed, there are certain
conventions that can be used in various places that begin to make sense
in the regular and irregular verbs do in a reasonably mature language.
The reason that this came to my attention is that very experienced Linux
and Unix users seem to be able to infer *new* (to them) commands and
switches that turn out to actually be a part of the language.

Interesting stuff.

Mark Henigan