List:       wget
Subject:    Re: Suggestion
From:       toad <matthew () toseland ! f9 ! co ! uk>
Date:       2001-07-03 22:45:56

Ooops, this should have gone to the list
--
Always hardwire the explosives
        -- Fiona Dexter quoting Monkey, J. Gregory Keyes, Dark Genesis

Date: Tue, 3 Jul 2001 23:45:20 +0100
To: Jan Thonemann <tomcat@nef.wh.uni-dortmund.de>

On Tue, Jul 03, 2001 at 10:52:56PM +0200, Jan Thonemann wrote:
> .. or better a question?!?
>
> Hi
>
> Sorry for the bad english in advance :-)
>
> I have a problem and i hope you can help me.
>
> I have tried to download some files from a ftp server by using an input
> file. The command I used looks like that.
>
> wget -i file
>
> the file looks like this
>
> ftp://user:pw@ftp.xx/path1/file1
> ftp://user:pw@ftp.xx/path2/file2
>
> The list is much longer. I don`t want to use the -r option, because i don`t
> need all the files.
>
> My problem is, that wget makes a new login for each file. But the files are
> all on the same server. The login on the ftp server takes a quit long time,
> and thats why i want to ask what i must do that wget just login in once an
> get all the files.
>
> I downloaded your new 1.7 version, and tried to do what i want with
> the --base option, but that doesn`t work, or i don`t know how.
>
> I hope you can help me. Because i would like to use wget what is doing good
> work in all other cases.
>
> Greets Jan Thonemann
My patch for this against 1.6 (methinks...) is in the archives. Will dig up
(later... you want it now, find it yourself). It appears this functionality is
in 1.7 for HTTP but not for FTP due to issues with relative paths? Can't we
just use an absolute path?