List:       wget
Subject:    possible enhancements to -k ?
From:       Malcolm Austen <malcolm.austen () computing-services ! oxford ! ac ! uk>
Date:       2001-01-26 13:34:24

I make considerable use of -k (--convert_links) because I use wget (1.5.3
on w98) mainly to mirror sites for offline display on my laptop at family
history events.

It seems to me that there are two possible enhancements that could be made
to the -k option ...

My first suggestion is be to add a supplementary option to -k, something
like

     --default_html <filenamelist>

which would rewrite directory URLs to include the first found file from
the list. Typical usage might be something like

    --default_html index.html,index.htm,welcome.htm,default.htm

My second suggestion is wider reaching. I mirror many sites (it is a
hierarchy of pages distributed across many sites) into one directory so I
have c.100 subdirectories, all named by a web site. It would be _very_
nice if -k could be extended (optionally) to rewrite, as relative local
file references, any href to a site that I already have mirrored.

It may be that this can all be achieved by other means. Does anyone know
of proxy/server software that would allow me to map real http://
references into my mirror directory if I have a local copy? I tried
looking at the Jigsaw (W3C testbed server/proxy) documentation but could
not be certain enough of this capability to be incliuded to download and
install it.

regards,
	Malcolm.

 Malcolm.Austen@OUCS.ox.ac.uk     http://users.ox.ac.uk/~malcolm/