List:       wget
Subject:    Re: Any way to delete (synchronize)? (fwd)
From:       "L. Cranswick" <lzc () dl ! ac ! uk>
Date:       2001-01-22 1:08:08

> > > Whoa, wait a minute.  Doesn't this assume the user has control over
> > > both master and slave site?  Of course that is wrong for many of us.
> >
> > Many sites that run anonymous FTP allow anonymous rsync access as
> > well. But in principle you are right - a site that offers FTP access
> > doees not have to be necesarilly accessible via rsync.
>
> Is that really widespread?  I haven't noticed that to be true.  My
> usage is admittedly limited and more home user oriented, but my
> feeling was that it is fairly rare.  Do big servers like metlab or
> cdrom.com etc routinely allow rsync?

As I think I mentioned, if WGET lacks rsync - it will be no
great loss.  But adding it would add more in the way of
general mirroring capability to WGET in a relatively
usre friendly pcakage compared to rsync client.

The save (repeating myself from last time) if it had
CVS client capability.

Lachlan.

--
Lachlan M. D. Cranswick

Collaborative Computational Project No 14 (CCP14)
    for Single Crystal and Powder Diffraction
Daresbury Laboratory, Warrington, WA4 4AD U.K
Tel: +44-1925-603703  Fax: +44-1925-603124
E-mail: l.cranswick@dl.ac.uk  Ext: 3703  Room C14
                           http://www.ccp14.ac.uk

After 10th January 2001 - visiting:
   CSIRO Division of Minerals, Bayview Ave, Clayton,
       Melbourne, Victoria, Australia, 3168
  CSIRO Tel: (613) 9545-8500 - Switch
  CSIRO Tel: (613) 9545-8802 - Direct
  CSIRO Fax: (613) 9562-8919  (made c/o Ian Madsen)