List:       wget
Subject:    Re: Wierd WGET, GCC 2.8.1 and SGI IRIX 6.5x behaviour. (fwd)
From:       L.M.D.Cranswick () dl ! ac ! uk (L !  Cranswick)
Date:       1999-04-11 22:55:01

Yes, you have decoded by babbling quite accurately.
I didn't realise how evil inheritting a GCC from an
older version of the OS could be - till now - where it
seems quite obvious.

Am wondering how many others might have been caught by
this as it does seem to cause a small amount of
erratic behaviour.

Lachlan.

> L. Cranswick wrote:
>
> > Following is the starting output from the GCC compiled WGET
> > (though I should note that GCC was compiled prior to it
> > getting the lastest SGI IRIX 6.5x OS upgrade - it might
> > even be a hangover from when the server had IRIX 6.3??):
>
> If I decoded this correctly, you want to say that you have gcc compiled
> on old version of IRIX. This is bad. Very bad. Gcc wants to have its
> own include files and some of them depend on the things you got with
> the OS. In general, when you use gcc compiled on a previous version
> of any OS, wierd things can happen. Since everything's OK with wget
> produced with a native C compiler, I suppose wierdness you've
> discovered can be attributed to the improper gcc setup. Try compiling
> gcc on your current OS version and see if the problem will go away.
>
> --
>  .-.   .-.    Life is a sexually transmitted disease.
>      |        dave@fly.cc.fer.hr

Lachlan M. D. Cranswick

Collaborative Computational Project No 14 (CCP14)
    for Single Crystal and Powder Diffraction
Daresbury Laboratory, Warrington, WA4 4AD U.K
Tel: +44-1925-603703  Fax: +44-1925-603124
E-mail: l.cranswick@dl.ac.uk  Ext: 3703  Room C14
NEW CCP14 Web Domain (Under heavy construction):
                           http://www.ccp14.ac.uk