List:       wget
Subject:    VSMFTP WGET Re: Problems with spec, characters, or else?
From:       Lachlan Cranswick <l.m.d.cranswick () dl ! ac ! uk>
Date:       1998-10-09 13:13:46

Jan Prikryl's compilation of WGET that is friendly to VMS FTP servers is
now available at:

    http://www.ccp14.ac.uk/mirror/wget.htm#vmsftp

Have been using it for a month(?) or so and it seems to be
quite solid on the VMS FTP servers.

---

Does the latest WGET have support for all these different
FTP servers using that patch discussed recently (memory is
going?)

Lachlan.

>Date: Fri, 9 Oct 1998 14:47:42 +0200
>From: Jan Prikryl <prikryl@cg.tuwien.ac.at>
>Subject: Re: Problems with spec, characters, or else?
>
>Quoting Kiraly Andras (andras@chaos.hupe.hu):
>
>> ftp> cd dir_2
>       ^^^^^^^^
>> 250 Directory changed to /e:/dir1/dir_2
>> ==> CWD /dir_2/Named directory1 (with spec.chars) ...
>
>* NOTE * you are performing "CWD dir_2", not "CWD /dir_2" in the first
>case. You can't assume that after loggin in the FTP server you will be
>in the root of the directory tree (which is actually what `wget'
>does, AFAIK).
>
>I had the same problem when making `wget' able to deal with VMS sites
>(patches for Lachlan) as VMS uses another path syntax. I have the
>version here, I can send it to anyone who is interested.  I can
>produce a patch (actually the only thing you need to do is to send
>"PWD" after logging in and use this path instead of '/' as the root)
>later in October, if there is still need for it - I'm too busy now.
>
>-- jan

>               Jan Prikryl <prikryl@cg.tuwien.ac.at>
>         http://www.cg.tuwien.ac.at/staff/JanPrikryl.html
>         Institute of Computer Graphics and Visualisation
>             Vienna University of Technology, Austria

Lachlan M. D. Cranswick
Collaborative Computational Project No 14 (CCP14)
    for Single Crystal and Powder Diffraction
Daresbury Laboratory, Warrington, WA4 4AD U.K
Tel: +44 (0)1925-603703  Fax: +44 (0)1925-603124  Room C14
E-mail: l.cranswick@dl.ac.uk
CCP14 Webpage (Under heavy construction):
                                    http://www.ccp14.ac.uk