List:       wget
Subject:    Help: mirroring with HTTP 1.1 ?
From:       Ciaran.Deignan () bull ! net
Date:       1998-02-25 17:15:49

I'm not on this list, please copy me in any replies.

I've looked on the mailing-list archive, I can't find any reference to my
problem.

A collegue is using wget to mirror the directory
http://www-frec.bull.com/download/out/ . The server has just been upgraded
to Netscape Enterprise Server v3 (from v2). Prior to the upgrade, a wget
run on the directory would take 5 minutes if nothing had been changed.
After the upgrade, wget now transfers all the files in the directory every
time (4 hours, 100+MBs).

Analysis shows that the web server is not supplying the "Last-Modified"
header. To see if this was an isolated problem, I telneted to several
external servers to see if the "Last-Modified" header had "evaporated".

The server www.windows95.com is running Apache, supports HTTP 1.1, and
does not provide the Last-Modified header. The server www.ibm.com is
running "Dommino Go" web server software, supports http 1.1, and does NOT
provide the Last-Modified header.

My conclusing is that HTTP 1.1 servers don't like disclosing last-modified
information (or maybe it doesn't exist on some platforms?).

I downloaded wget 1.5-b9 and tried it, no change.

Are there any plans to us the "If-Modified-Since" header in the near
future?

Thanks for any info,
Ciaran

Ciaran Deignan                                Tel: (France) 04 76 29 79 92
BULL XS-BU (http://www-frec.bull.com)      Internet Support Project Leader

Office:  C1/012                                         Bullcom: 229 79 92
Mail to: C1/023 or Ciaran.Deignan@bull.net                  Fax: 229 76 89