List:       wekalist
Subject:    [Wekalist] SMO classifier MacOS Intel vs. ARM architecture
From:       mjolly () pingry ! org
Date:       2023-02-10 14:46:51

Hello all,

I had my students run an experiment using the SMO classifier on an XOR dataset and we \
are getting strange results. I and 2 of my students have a Windows computer, 2 \
students have a Mac with Intel processor, and 2 students have a Mac with ARM \
processors. The windows on Windows and Mac Intel are identical. The results on Mac \
ARM are different. We ran an experiment with the following classifiers: C = 10, \
Polynomial kernel, exponent = 6 C = 100, Polynomial kernel, exponent  = 4
C = 0.1, Polynomial kernel, exponent  = 10
C = 500, RBF kernel, gamma = 0.01
C = 50, RBF kernel, gamma = 10
Then we ran a corrected t-test on the percent_correct measure.
On Windows and Mac Intel, we get 81.65, 89.75, 64.00, 62.25, 95.85 for the 5 \
classifiers. On Mac ARM, we get 81.60, 89.75, 64.05, 63.25, 95.80 for the 5 \
classifiers. I understand that the difference might be due to the different \
processors.

However, the visualization of the boundaries for the worst classifier is very \
different. I asked the students to use the boundary visualizer for the worst \
classifier. I don't know how to add pictures to this post, so I am sharing 2 \
screenshots on my google drive. Mac Intel screenshot: \
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1_cKuLj3oD4eD_k7fF2ZyxDkBRk66LSqE/view?usp=sharing \
Mac ARM screenshot: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1zKxPoUMAVGmVSaxMEqVuwY6Jv_0-k7wT/view?usp=sharing
 As you can see, the Mac ARM screenshot is completely wrong. It shows a \
classification that is much better than 63.25%.

The students experimented a little bit and compared results and different computers \
and it seems that it has to do with the low value (around 0.01) of gamma for the RBF \
filter. Can somebody look into the code and see what is going on. Thanks in advance!!

Marie-Pierre