List:       wekalist
Subject:    Re: [Wekalist] Filters and bagging
From:       Peter Reutemann <fracpete () waikato ! ac ! nz>
Date:       2006-04-24 22:30:29

> I have a training set and i have the classes avaliable in nominal form.
> i was wondering if i should use unsupervised discretize filter or
> supervised discretize filter. Can the unsupervised discretize filter be
> used in supervised learning?

Supervised means only that the filter will take the class attribute and
therefore its distribution into account, the unsupervised will just
ignore it (that's why you have to specify the number of bins for the
Discretize filter yourself). In other words, yes, you can use the
unsupervised one.

> I would also like to know if anyone could provide me more information on
> the IBk algorithm.

IBk paper:
D. Aha, D. Kibler (1991). Instance-based learning algorithms. Machine
Learning. 6:37-66.

HTH

Cheers, Peter
http://www.cs.waikato.ac.nz/~fracpete/     +64 (7) 838-4466 Ext. 5174