List:       wekalist
Subject:    Re: [Wekalist] Can naive bayes model over-fit the data?
From:       Peter Reutemann <fracpete () waikato ! ac ! nz>
Date:       2006-02-27 21:33:15

> It seems for me that Naive bayes classifier(NBC) would not over-fit the
> data (or over-fitting is not so serious compared with other classifiers
> like C4.5, Neural Network, kNN, SVM etc.).  As NBC just estimate the
> probability of each attribute value(with some smoothing method), and the
> final model is linear. It seems it is hard for NBC to over-fit the data.
> I am wondering whether there is any reference about the robuestness of
> NBC.  Any idea?

Just had a chat with a colleague of mine and he says:
"If you really want to, you can make NB overfit by having a discrete
attribute with many values and a class with many values and very few
data points, say with a 100 valued attributed and a 100 valued class and
100 data points. In most machine learning situations, you would expect
NB to be quite robust. For example, Breiman in his paper on bagging
refers to NB as a stable classifier and therefore not suited for bagging."

HTH

Cheers, Peter
http://www.cs.waikato.ac.nz/~fracpete/     +64 (7) 838-4466 Ext. 5174