List:       wekalist
Subject:    [Wekalist] Re: Greetings from Iceland
From:       Mark Hall <mhall () cs ! waikato ! ac ! nz>
Date:       2005-11-28 18:58:26

Hi Tony,

PrincipalComponents is indeed an unsupervised method. Unfortunately it
doesn't really fit all that well in the Explorer with Weka's other
attribute selection methods (which are supervised). If a class
attribute has been specified for the data then PC will ignore that
attribute in computing the components. In the Explorer this is set by
default to the last column in the data, unless you change it using the
drop down box. In many cases this is actually useful. For example,
when you combine PC with a classifier and want the class attribute
ignored for the transformation but passed on to the classifier.

You can achieve full unsupervised operation with PC if you run it from
the command line. If no class attribute is specified on the command
line then PC will use all the attributes when computing the
transformation.

Best regards,
Mark Hall.

--