List:       wekalist
Subject:    [Wekalist] documentation request
From:       Marina Santini <Marina.Santini () itri ! brighton ! ac ! uk>
Date:       2003-12-15 10:10:27

I join and back up Victor de la Torre Russis' request for more exhaustive
documentation for weka software.

The lack of documentation or the difficulty in finding thorough
documentation is
a problem that I experience regularly and sometimes I get really frustrated.

The manual "Data Mining: Practical Machine Learning Tools and Techniques
with Java Implementations " is very good
but it does not contain all the details of the most recent
implementations of weka software.

The weka archive has enourmously improved with the search functionality, but
unfortunately there are many questions and just a few answers.

The API does not say much: it mostly gives bare, hierarchical information.

I wonder how we (novices in machine learning or novices in using weka)
can fully exploit all the
potential offered by weka (an handy and powerful package)
 if we don't even know what functionalities it provides, or
the details of its implementation...
Maybe it's time for a new thorough and exhaustive new manual (wishful
thinking)...

Suggestions and comments are welcomed.

Thanks.

Best Regards.

Marina Santini
marina@itri.brighton.ac.uk

°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°
Hi people.
I work in the National Bioinformatics Center, Havana, Cuba. Our center
is interested on applying WEKA to solve bioinformatics problems. I think
that WEKA is a powerful tool for the rapid evaluation of several machine
learning algorithms on biological datasets. We intend to use it on real
research problems of the Cuban bioinformatics community.
We are working now with the last version; however we don't have enough
documentation for getting the most of it. If you can point me to some
web resource or can email me any info, other than provided by WEKA
website, I would be most grateful.

--
BSc. Victor de la Torre Russis
Researcher