List:       wekalist
Subject:    Re: [Wekalist] CSF and thousands of attributes
From:       Mark Hall <mhall () cs ! waikato ! ac ! nz>
Date:       2003-12-14 20:47:34

Hi,

There is a now a new version of CFS and the best first search class in
the CVS repository for Weka that addresses these memory issues. The
main problem was caused by using CFS in conjunction with best first
search. CFS requires an n x n matrix of doubles to hold feature
correlations and best first search uses a large cache to hold
previously evaluated features.

The new version of CFS now uses 1/4 of the memory that it did
previously and the best first search now has an option that allows the
user to control the maximum size of the lookup cache. CFS should now be
applicable to data sets with tens of thousands of features (it has been
successfully run on a 16,000 feature data set inside of 1Gb of memory
for the VM).

Cheers,
Mark.