List:       webservices-general
Subject:    Re: svn commit: r1083862 - in /webservices/commons/trunk/modules/neethi: pom.xml src/main/java/org/a
From:       Daniel Kulp <dkulp () apache ! org>
Date:       2011-03-28 19:02:23

On Monday 28 March 2011 2:40:15 PM Andreas Veithen wrote:
> I think there is a flaw in the argument related to OSGi (or at least
> something to clarify). You need to make a distinction between the API
> against which you code and the actual implementation that you are
> using at runtime. In addition to its own API, SLF4J also provides a
> re-implementation of the commons-logging API. Therefore it seems to me
> that even if SLF4J works better in an OSGi environment, that doesn't
> necessary imply that you have to use the SLF4J API. If I understand
> [1] correctly, that is the strategy they use for Spring(-DM).

Well, with OSGi, it really depends on how you setup your OSGi container.  For
the most part, *I* would normally recomment using the pax-logging stuff which
pretty much exposes all the various logging API's and funnels them into a
common place.   Thus, the argument is irrelevant more or less.

If you setup your own OSGi container and want to strip it down to the VERY
basics that are required, then it could be an issue.   You would definitely
need either commons-logging bundle or the jcl-over-slf4j bundle.   That would
be one additional bundle compared to just using on slf4j.   Likely not a huge
deal, but it is an addional dependency.   You would still need slf4j-api and
an slf4j implementation since the other deps would need it.

In this case, I really do agree with Colm.   If the two primary dependencies
of WSS4J (XMLSec and Opensaml) use slf4j, everyone that uses wss4j are going
to need slf4j anyway.   However, they may not need commons-logging.   Using
slf4j in wss4j makes sense to me.

For example, with CXF, I think the only two commonly used deps that use
commons-logging now are Spring and wss4j.   However, a bunch of deps now use
slf4j. With 2.4.0, Spring is really quite optional.   Thus, commons-logging
usage is really just delegated to wss4j.   If that could be eliminated, that
would be a good thing.    Again, helps with stripping down the runtime for the
lighter weight, embedded use cases.

Dan

--
Daniel Kulp