List:       websecurity
Subject:    Re: [WEB SECURITY] How are you tackling CSRF?
From:       "MustLive" <mustlive () websecurity ! com ! ua>
Date:       2011-08-30 20:54:53

Hi Ramesh!

I want to tell you the next concerning Barracuda Web Application Firewall. I
didn't use it and hadn't seen at web sites online, to test it and to see how
effectively it blocks CSRF attacks. But if you've used it and know its
efficiency, then it can be so (but always better to see by yourself).

Still there are moments which give doubts in efficiency of Barracuda WAF.

1. Barracuda have holes at their sites and not making effective security
audit of their web sites. As it can be seen from XSS holes which I've found
in February (announced and informed Barracuda in April) and in April
(announced and informed Barracuda in June).

2. Barracuda haven't responded and fixed the holes - i.e. they ignored them.
It's just 2 + 5 XSS holes it total (at my quick look in February and April
at one their site) and there can be much more of them - it's not 900 DoS
holes, which I found in June at Sophos' web site, but still the holes. And
having vulnerabilities at their sites, ignoring to find them and to fix them
show company's attitude to web security.

3. In April their site was hacked, which leaded to sensitive information
disclosure. Hack was made via SQL Injection and existence of such holes was
predictable from those holes which I found at their site earlier.

4. They was not using WAF at their vulnerable and hacked sites (and quite
possible on a lot of other their sites) and still not using it at that
vulnerable site with multiple XSS. Are they fearing to use their own product
on their own sites, fearing it's not effective enough?

5. In June there were disclosed Remote Command Execution vulnerabilities in
Barracuda NG Firewall and phion netfence.

All of these not give enough confidence in efficiency of their WAF, but I'm
wishing good luck to them and their security products ;-).

Best wishes & regards,
MustLive
Administrator of Websecurity web site
http://websecurity.com.ua