List:       websecurity
Subject:    [WEB SECURITY] [tool] Watcher 1.3.0 passive Web-vulnerability testing
From:       "Chris Weber" <chris () casabasecurity ! com>
Date:       2010-02-25 19:04:38

A new update to the Watcher passive vulnerability detection and security testing tool \
has been released. Watcher is an open source addon to the Fiddler Web proxy that aids \
developers, auditors, and penetration testers in finding Web-application security \
issues as well as hot-spots for deeper review. Among other things, we've added new \
checks to identify the insecure ViewState issues as recently reported by Trustwave's \
SpiderLabs [1].

You can read this announcement at http://www.casabasecurity.com/blog/ or download \
Watcher from CodePlex at http://websecuritytool.codeplex.com/.  A short list of new \
features and improvements includes:

- A separate, optional component to export results to Team Foundation Server.

- New check to identify insecure ASP.NET VIEWSTATE configurations subject to \
tampering and pervasive XSS attacks.

- New check to identify insecure JavaServer MyFaces ViewState subject to tampering \
and XSS attacks.

- New check for Silverlight EnableHtmlAccess.

- Export results to HTML report.

- Compliance mappings to Microsoft SDL.

- If no origin domain is specified, each response domain will be treated as the \
origin, enabling better cross-domain analysis.

- Assorted bug fixes and improvements.

Bryan Sullivan and Patrick Toomey's ViewStateViewer plugin [2] provided inspiration \
for detecting ASP.NET VIEWSTATE MAC protection. When testing .NET 4.0 we discovered a \
change in the MAC implementation which has also been accounted for in this check. \
David Byrne from Trustwave [1] provided most of the methodology ideas for detecting \
insecure JavaServer MyFaces ViewState.

In addition to the main developers (Robert Mooney and Samuel Bucholtz), we wanted to \
thank everyone who helped or provided suggestions for this release:

Hidetake Jo

Bryan Sullivan

David Byrne

Jason D. Montgomery

Dave Wichers

We welcome any criticism, suggestions, check ideas, and bug reports.

- Chris Weber

[1] Trustwave advisory \
https://www.trustwave.com/spiderlabs/advisories/TWSL2010-001.txt

[2] ViewStateViewer plugin for Fiddler \
http://labs.neohapsis.com/2009/08/03/viewstateviewer-a-gui-tool-for-deserializingreserializing-viewstate/