List:       websecurity
Subject:    Re: [WEB SECURITY] Justification for Web Application Security Programme
From:       Jeremiah Heller <jeremiah () itmustbe ! com>
Date:       2010-01-22 22:43:26

Hi all, long-time trawler, first-time writer.

I also agree w/ the sentiments here. I don't think that automated
scanners will do much though, perhaps if they were more accurate and
could guarantee that no more than 5-10% of results are false positives.

Installing insecure scripts is a relatively minor issue if people
installing them don't understand fully what they are doing. It is just
as easy for them to install a script written by a potential attacker.
This potential attacker would likely secure their script from attack to
prevent other attackers from moving in on their turf.

Requiring business-site owners to buy an add-on with their hosting
package would likely give the site-owner pause as they consider whether
they really need to work with this company. I think the common
perception among potential customers of such a company would be that the
company was simply trying to nickel and dime them to death.

In my experience, most people setting up a web-presence for the first
time believe that it is like most commodities. You pay for it and you're
set. First-timers (again, ime) are rather focused on the business-side
of things (keeping costs down, moving quickly, building customer-base),
believing that they can clear further hurdles at a later time when needs
arise - smart business right? Just not smart tech-based business.

They do not understand that this technology-stuff is all still very
experimental. I believe many expect it all 'to just work', especially if
they've paid money for it.

Without legislating or otherwise regulating the hosting companies or the
hosting customers I doubt any hands can be forced in this arena. Making
profits is of more interest to most hosting companies than is providing
& maintaining a secure environment. A minimal level of security is
necessary because the hosting company would otherwise go out of business
in responding to/recovering from hacks. Protecting each individual site
hosted is difficult to say the least. Automated scanners, WAFs and the
like all require a bit of knowledge about the site they are
scanning/protecting and it's not like the hosting company and hosting
customer can sit down and come up with a risk analysis.

That said there are common attacks that most sites face. These can be
blocked rather easily with a WAF. Server-wide monitoring is also rather
easy w/ a decent HIDS. These tools, combined w/ other basic ideas like
system/service hardening, rootkit/virus scanners, patching and
due-vigilance can provide a decent blanket which hosting companies can
use to protect their customers without charging for add-ons or needing
to know what each customer's site is about (assuming the WAF protects
against generic attacks).

Even then, there is still the risk of successful attacks, particularly
by way of hosting customer's personal pcs. Site credentials (eg FTP,
SSH, basic-auth) are relatively easy-pickings if the hosting customer
runs ineffective or outdated av software, or simply visits a malicious
or compromised site.

Which brings it all back to educating the user-base. The problem (I
believe) is that the user-base in general likes being a user-base and
aren't that interested in the nuances of computer/network security.

If there were a single strategy that would solve even a minimally
significant number of security issues for all sites everywhere, then I
believe hosting companies would adopt it on their own, assuming they
were aware of it and the benefits of deploying it outweighed the costs
of implementation and maintenance.

Not all (hosting) companies are created with the intent of serving the
public good. This was required by law some 50 years ago in the US but no
longer. Some will foster practices which provide quarterly growth even
if this erodes the security/sustainability of the industry - in other
words, buyer beware. If a buyer is to beware than they must have some
awareness of the situation they are entering into. Barring that they
must have the desire to become aware of the new situation. Barring that,
they will be a likely mark for predators. This goes for hosting
companies and customers alike.

So my answer to the question would be by:
- continuing to raise awareness within the public conscious,
- sharing information out between researchers, vendors and providers of
recent, current and potential attacks and mitigation techniques
- pretty much keep doing what's being done and improving on it

Raising awareness w/in the public conscious is probably the least
addressed as I see things. If the general public were aware enough to
ask more than "do you scan for virii" I believe more hosting companies
would be forced to address the issues of site security. Automated
scanners have provided an easy way-out for many site-owners/hosting
companies, since customers assume they are secure if the 'security
badge' shows up on the site.

It also doesn't help matters that banks don't really mention PCI much
when a customer of theirs opens a merchant account. I've experienced 2
such institutions who mentioned PCI in passing, then blew it off when
pressed, saying stuff like "oh that's not very important". Of course the
bank doesn't dare educate their merchant customers too much as the cost
of achieving PCI compliance would prohibit many small businesses from
processing cards.

Curious what other experiences are...