List:       websecurity
Subject:    [WEB SECURITY] RE: Recommendation for web app scanner
From:       "Brian Shura" <bshura73 () gmail ! com>
Date:       2009-05-25 20:19:40

I would suggest trying out a number of these tools to see which one best
meets your needs.  For the commercial scanners, it's easy to get a 2-week
evaluation license from the vendors if you want to see the capabilities of
the tool before making a purchase decision.

The Web Application Scanner Evaluation Criteria (WASSEC) from WASC provides
a list of scanner capabilities that should be taken into consideration and
advice for conducting an evaluation.  I expect that we'll be releasing
Version 1 of the WASSEC within the next month, but at this point the draft
document is almost complete and is already being used to help "raise the
bar" for web application scanning tools.  This document can be found here:

http://sites.google.com/site/wassec/final-draft

I would also suggest taking vague comments like "AppScan and WebInspect suck
now because they were bought by IBM and HP" with a grain of salt.  Give the
tools a try and decide for yourself whether or not they work for you.  If
there are things that you don't like about a particular tool or think need
to be improved, tell the vendor or developer and be as specific as possible.
If you're right and they care, it will lead to improvements in the tool.

Thanks,
Brian