List:       websecurity
Subject:    Re: [WEB SECURITY] Security Testing of Mobile Apps
From:       "Simone Onofri" <simone.onofri () gmail ! com>
Date:       2008-12-03 22:49:53

Yes Jeff, right concept and, as Billy said, this is a security issue
not Web itself. Not in this Layer.

So can be nice to design a real scenario, also for evaluating the
risks of clients, not only apps itself. Contex may changes.

Cheers,

Simone

On Wed, Dec 3, 2008 at 11:42 PM, Jeff Robertson
<jeff.robertson@gmail.com> wrote:
> A "fat client" mobile app is probably making network connections of
> some kind to a server. Find out the name/address of that server and
> attack it directly.
>

> On 12/3/08, Simone Onofri <simone.onofri@gmail.com> wrote:
>> As Arun just said, it depends on the architecture of mobile application.
>>
>> XHTML Mobile application can be considered like Web Applications.
>>
>> So if there are specific web application vulnerability also some is shared.
>>
>> If Java it can be decompiled in order to find infos and source code
>> checking.
>>
>> Another way is to see on other layers depending also on protocols involved
>> (SIP for VOIP or similar) and tools like Wireshark.
>>
>> Cheers,
>>
>> Simone
>>
>> On Wed, Dec 3, 2008 at 10:39 PM, Arun Sundaresh
>> <arunsundaresh@gmail.com>wrote:
>>
>>> Hi Billy,
>>>
>>> Thanks for the info!
>>>
>>> From the discussion, I understood that for web-based mobile apps, we can
>>> use the general web app scanners by just changing the user agent of the
>>> scanning tool.
>>>
>>> But how about the security assessment of client-server apps for mobile?
>>> say
>>> for example, a voice mail client which notifies the user whenever there is

--
Simone Onofri
http://www.siatec.net/