List:       websecurity
Subject:    [WEB SECURITY] MySpace advert infects visitors with spyware
From:       Jeremiah Grossman <jeremiah () whitehatsec ! com>
Date:       2006-07-19 18:02:30

MySpace has had its share of bad press recently and this one appears
particularly significant.

Hacked Ad Seen on MySpace Served Spyware to a Million
http://blog.washingtonpost.com/securityfix/2006/07/
myspace_ad_served_adware_to_mo.html

"An online banner advertisement that ran on MySpace.com and other
sites over the past week used a Windows security flaw to infect more
than a million users with spyware when people merely browsed the
sites with unpatched versions of Windows, according to data collected
by iDefense, a Verisign company."

The malicious advertisement was hosted by a third-party,
DeckOutYourDeck.com. Its unclear whether or not they intended this or
someone hacked their machines. The result is the same in either case.
In my "Cross-Site Scripting Viruses & Worms" white paper I briefly
describe this attack vector.
http://www.whitehatsec.com/downloads/WHXSSThreats.pdf

"As XSS virus and worm writers increase their level of
sophistication, they&#x2019;ll begin looking for areas within websites that
give immediate access to the most web browsers. The most popular
websites, including those with community-driven content, will
continue to be the primary targets." ... "But there is also another
subtler target--third-party providers of web page widgets including
advertising banners, weather and poll blocks, JavaScript RSS feeds,
traffic counters, etc."

What's becoming clear is we need view third-party website content as
"potentially hostile". Those including MySpace should do more to make
sure their includes are safe. Otherwise they'll be unwittingly
serving up more mass malware and XSS attacks to visitors.

Regards,
Jeremiah Grossman
Founder and CTO
WhiteHat Security, Inc.