List:       webmin-l
Subject:    Re: [webmin-l] Bind Oddities
From:       John Hinton <webmaster () ew3d ! com>
Date:       2012-12-02 7:59:37

On 12/2/2012 2:31 AM, Jamie Cameron wrote:
> On 01/Dec/2012 20:01 John Hinton <webmaster@ew3d.com> wrote ..
>> On 12/1/2012 8:19 PM, Jamie Cameron wrote:
>>> On 30/Nov/2012 19:00 John Hinton <webmaster@ew3d.com> wrote ..

>>> In Webmin's BIND module, does it show at the top of the main page that BIND
>>> is under a chroot directory?
>> I have three nameservers. On this one it does not. FYI, it worked right
>> for months and then suddenly stopped. I never allow any bind updates
>> except on my command as Redhat seems to break the permissions on slaves
>> during each upgrade.
>>
>> I have set every setting that I can think of differently. It finds
>> named.conf correctly, but is confused about the location of the zone
>> files. if I create a new one, it is placed where ever the path to the
>> zone files is set and the chroot is not considered. If I set the path to
>> the full chroot directory, it places the zone file there and it is seen
>> and editable, but the path in named.conf is also the full path including
>> the chroot directory.
> Are all three nameservers running CentOS 6? Version 6 introduced some changes
> in the way the BIND chroot is setup that has caused problems for some Webmin users.
This is the only 6 version. Yes, it seems that 6 has more changes than
the total combined between RH5 and EL5! Arrgh! I'm scratching my head
over what package update must have done this. Again, I do all of my
updates manually and this occurred on a working system which did not get
a bind update. I did do a bind update after it happened to see if that
would fix it. No luck. Unfortunately we haven't had much in the way of
account changes lately and so the time frame between visits to bind on
this system was a longer than usual time... making it all harder to
remember what was updated on this system between the working version and
the now broken version. There may have been an update to Webmin in there
as well as a number of system updates. Were there any changes in the
recent Webmin releases that might have an effect on the bind module? I
could do a roll back.

Is there any additional logging I can turn on somewhere to see what is
happening? The bind module just sees bind as not running. Clicking start
comes back to the exact same things with start still showing. If I shut
down bind from the command line and click on start, same thing. Yet boot
up and shutdown does show bind as running.

> Personally I would recommend not running in chroot if you can. The security
> benefits are minimal..
Hmmmm.... well, I would rather not. Actually, I hate messing too much
with a live nameserver and this one does double duty with our Spamhaus
feed, so is a bit more critical to spam filtering across the rest of the
systems.

Thanks Jamie.

>   - Jamie

John Hinton