List:       webmin-l
Subject:    Re: [webmin-l] {Spam?} Suexec
From:       John Hinton <webmaster () ew3d ! com>
Date:       2009-12-01 23:33:35

If I understand correctly, suexec does a switch user before running an
executable such as a cgi/perl script. So, yes, it is a good thing. If
you are getting this error, you are likely running RHEL or CentOS.
Redhat compiles suexec with the /var/www directory set within. So, it
won't work in any other directory using their package. I think your
options include, either turn it off, move your stuff from /home to the
var/www directories or install/compile it separately.

I accidentally got lucky and changed my default installs from
/home/user/htdocs to /var/www/user/public_html just to conform as I was
getting tired of overriding this with each install. I started this with
CentOS 3.0. It has been a good change in most cases. I don't struggle so
much with splitting drive space between /home and /var anymore.

John Hinton