List:       webmin-l
Subject:    Re: Voicemail/pppd conflicts in webmin 1.03?
From:       Marco Fioretti <m.fioretti () inwind ! it>
Date:       2002-11-21 22:52:54

On Fri, Nov 22, 2002 09:24:33 at 09:24:33AM +1100, Jamie Cameron (jcameron@webmin.com) wrote:
> I don't think the same port can be used for both dial-in and dial-out
> like that. When the voicemail module is set up for the port, the vgetty
> program is run to continually listen on it for connections. It probably
> gets confused when it sees chat trying to dial out ..

Exactly, Jamie, that's the same impression I got (also listening at
the noises from the modem, which of course I couldn't post: it really
"sounded" as one machine trying to talk to itself...).

Of course, if the computer is a full time fax server/answering machine
it will never be used for dial out, but with a home stand alone
desktop what I'm trying to make is very common, isn't it? Basically,
the home user with dial-up net access wants to connect only when he
has something to do online, and also wants his PC to be the perfect
secretary (take incoming messages and faxes) but ONLY when it is not
at his desk. One may say that the user itself makes the two things
never happen simultaneously.

How can I do that?
In general, what should webmin do, in this case? provide an easy way to start/stop
voicemail server once it is configured (**)? Not start vgetty when the
user/sysadmin is dialing out?

	Ciao, and thanks a lot for the prompt answer!

		Marco Fioretti

(**) that is probably already there, right? it is just
"adding/removing" the serial port, isn't it?