List:       webmin-l
Subject:    Re: Usermin - Remove 'Delete' Mail Button
From:       Joe Cooper <joe () swelltech ! com>
Date:       2002-09-26 6:31:49

Don wrote:

>>>Hello,
>>>
>>>In Usermin, would it be possible to disallow deleting of email
>>
>>messages
>>
>>>for a particular mailbox/user?
>>

>>Usermin doesn't support per-user module configuration at the moment, so
>>this
>>wouldn't be possible. Is there any particular reason that you want it
>>for though?
>>
>>  - Jamie
>

> I was exploring the idea of using Usermin as a web interface to a common
> mailbox ( kind of an IMAP idea ).  Since it is a common mailbox, allowing
> anyone to delete a message would be problematic. Currently I have the
> mail
> box converted to an html interface but it is missing some functionality
> that the Usermin interface has built in. One way around the current
> limitation would be to forward the mail to a separate unix box, install
> Web/Usermin on it, and disable the delete function in the
> delete_mail.cgi.
> That way every user wouldn't be affected.  Always open to other ideas
> though.

Seems to me there are better ways to handle this problem.  Like a
mailing list, or aliases, to direct the same mail to all users--so they
can still delete it when they're done and don't have to log into one box
for their normal mail and another for their undeleteable group mail.

Of if they don't do mail normally, setup an issue tracker, or a simple
website that you use as a bulletin board.  You could make it a Webmin
module if you want to use a single login for this, and some other
things.  Making a webpage into a module is trivial.

I can't see this undeleteable mail thing being the Right Way in any
circumstance I can think of.
--
Joe Cooper <joe@swelltech.com>
Web caching appliances and support.