List:       webmin-devel
Subject:    Re: [webmin-devel] Themes
From:       Joe Cooper <joe () swelltech ! com>
Date:       2004-11-12 5:38:22

Martin Mewes wrote:
> Hi Josh,
>
> I redirect your personal mail to the list and hope you do not mind
> this.
>
> "josh green" <ahstinkin@hotmail.com> wrote :
>
>>>On the other hand you must think about
>>>cross-plattform-css-compability as Konqueror may shows css in
>>>another way as Internet Explorer, Netscape Navigator, Mozilla,
>>>Firefox, AOL-Browser ...
>>
>>Internet Explorer is twhat powers AOL
>>and netscape N and mozilla and firefox are exactly the same browser
>>with differant names. they have the same core.
>>
>>BUT css is supporeted across all those browswers.  and the only
>>differences you would see are minor like border width and such.
>>nothing worth throwing it out over.
>>
>>I understand what you're saying about it's not necessary but for
>>themeing in general it would be helpful.
>>
>>but how do i get started on themeing?  its confusing as hell..  you
>>guys ought to check out how xanga.com does their themeing for its
>>users.  rather smooth

I've made four themes (the last of which is not public yet but will be
finished up as soon as the custom icons by David Vignoni of Nuvola fame
are complete), and I don't consider theming Webmin to be all that
complicated.  I use CSS extensively in two of them, as well.  I found
using CSS easier than doing it all in HTML.

It is true that to really get complete control over the appearence of
Webmin, you must modify some of the perl routines, which is ugly...but
not difficult.

Have you read the section of the developer page about making themes?  I
believe it is pretty well documented.  There are a few "secrets" that
get discussed occasionally, or you have to query the list about, but
generally all you need to know is here:

http://www.webmin.com/modules.html#theme

Good luck!