List:       webkit-dev
Subject:    [webkit-dev] Decommissioning the Apple Windows Port
From:       Brent Fulgham via webkit-dev <webkit-dev () lists ! webkit ! org>
Date:       2023-02-07 19:17:12

[Attachment #2 (multipart/alternative)]

Hi floks,

The time has come for Apple to decommission our Legacy version of the WebKit on \
Windows, shifting focus to the WinCairo port as the Windows target. The Apple port \
has long been a feature-locked, Legacy WebKit library that is increasingly difficult \
to maintain, and that holds back the rest of the project.

Over the coming days (or hours!?!), we intend to take the following actions:
Decommission our trunk builders and EWS infrastructure for Apple's Windows port \
(though the WinCairo Windows port will continue to be maintained). Remove the Legacy \
WebKit code for Windows (long a goal of the WinCairo project!) Begin removing the \
Apple-specific Windows code in the rest of the code base. Remove references to older \
versions of CoreFoundation and CFNetwork, only retained for Windows use. Users \
interested in WebKit for Windows should focus on the WinCairo port, which is a modern \
WebKit implementation with full multi-process features.

I'm discussing with the other WinCairo developers to see if we should rename that \
port to just, "Windows" to simplify messaging and documentation.

Please let me know if you have any comments or suggestions to improve our plan.

Best regards,

-Brent