List:       webkit-dev
Subject:    Re: [webkit-dev] WebKit Transition to Git
From:       Maciej Stachowiak <mjs () apple ! com>
Date:       2020-10-29 2:57:27

> [...]
>                 one of them can be efficiently reviewed at the moment of time
> * Commits in PR represent review iterations or intermediate implementation progress
> * Reviewers' comments are addressed by pushing new commits without rewriting \
> history, which works around GitHub's lack of "commit revisions". Also this workflow \
> has lower entry barrier for people who haven't mastered git yet, as it requires \
> only "git commit" and "git push" without rebases.
> 2. Workflow 2 - "Rebase" ("cherry-pick")) or "Merge" policy
>
> * PR is considered to be a series of atomic changes. If work consists of several \
>                 atomic changes, each commit represent an atomic change
> * Review iterations are done by fixing commits in place and reuploading entire \
> series using force push (of course if review discovers that substantial part of \
>                 work is missing it can be added as a new atomic commit to the \
>                 series)
> * It's possible to review each commit in the series separately
> * Workflow requires developers to have more discipline and experience with using \
> git rebase for history rewriting. Entry barrier can be lowered by providing step by \
> step instructions like e.g. [1].
>
> Workflow 1 is more like what we have now with Bugzilla.
>
> Workflow 2 is used by many projects which use git for a long time and value \
> high-quality commit history. It's used e.g. by Linux kernel, or projects which use \
> Gerrit as a review tool (Chromium, Android, Qt, etc). It advantages for developers \
> (who can submit more work to review at the same time without risk of mixing up \
> unrelated changes together), reviewers (it's easier to review atomic changes than \
> those with too high or too low granularity), maintainers of stable branches (they \
> can pick bug reports and avoid at least some unneeded refactorings, features and \
> style improvements).
> Workflow 1 is the most obvious way to use GitHub, because it doesn't make any hints \
> about existence of workflow 2. However, many projects which use GitHub for code \
> review and value high-quality history are using workflow 2. For example, see \
> Ryosuke's example with whatwg/html repo.
> Workflow 2 is facilitated by Gerrit, which doesn't require using force pushes and \
> makes it immediately obvious for new user if they start adding new fixup commits \
> instead of editing those being reviewed.
> Workflow 2 can use both rebase and merge strategies, and merge isn't so evil in \
> this case. However, using merge moves responsibility for solving conflicts from \
> contributor to repository maintainers, which doesn't scale well. Projects which \
> accept patches via mailing lists, like Linux kernel, imply that reviewed patch \
> series must apply to the tip of the tree, so while there is no explicit "rebase" it \
> is implied.
> In conclusion, I recommend using 2 with "rebase" policy, but YMMV.

One big downside of Workflow 2, besides its lack of beginner-friendliness when \
revising patches, is that it requires the reviewer to review each commit, and not \
just the total diff of the PR, to ensure that it is an "atomic change" by your \
definition. And our CI would have to run against each commit in the PR, not just the \
PR overall, again, to ensure that it meets the definition of "atomic change". This \
seems like a lot of extra cost to enable something that IMO should not be needed much \
of the time. Furthermore, if anyone has developed a PR using branch commits that \
introduce defects, their PR would immediately fail CI and review, even if the net \
diff of the PR is good; they'd either have to do extra work to fix up every \
individual commit, or squash down their changes before posting the PR. I suspect this \
is a more common way to incrementally work on a change than every commit being \
individually valid and committable to main.

For these reasons, I'd prefer Workflow 1. If we did Workflow 2, I'd prefer the Rebase \
variant to the Merge variant in order to keep commit history simple.

 - Maciej