List:       webkit-dev
Subject:    Re: [webkit-dev] WebKit Transition to Git
From:       Tetsuharu OHZEKI <tetsuharu.ohzeki () gmail ! com>
Date:       2020-10-14 13:48:00

I feel from this discussion that everybody has their own best way and
we're tackling to resolve them at once in this migration process.
I also feel it's a bit difficult to conclude something.

FWIW, I would like to write some my problems about the current
workflow to help figure out
what is a problem in the current workflow and what we should be
resolved in this or other future process.

This would not propose an actual solution, but I believe this would
help to find a final solution and other people will also say your
problems to help.

1. Code review tools
WebKit Bugzilla's code review tool is not a beautiful solution for today.
I would like to get a preview for markdown file or syntax highlights.

2. Bug Tracking System
I don't feel a problem to use WebKit Bugzilla, and I doubt that using
Bugzilla is really a problem to collect a feedback from the webdev
community as other people said in this thread.
However, I have some complaints…

* I'd like to write markdown as a comment for bugs.
* I'd be happy if we triage more bugs. There are a bunch of non-triaged bugs.
    * Of course, a triage is a complex problem for us if we do it more
aggressively because there are at least 2 bug tracking systems,
Bugzilla and Apple's rader…

3. Changelog
I don't feel it's a big problem to write ChangeLog file.
Of course, this is tired thing but I don't have a strong alternative
after reading this thread.

However the current `prepare-Changelog` script does not fit with a
branch -based workflow on Git, I feel. There is a room to polish on
this Git migration.

For example, I'd like to specify a branch as my working set in my
local machine, instead of commit or staged changes.

Ordinary, I do these flows but it's a bit tired…. (if you know more
good ways, could you tell me!):

1. Run `prepare-Changelog`
2. Format ChangeLog file and remove duplicated entries added by _steps 1_.
3. Fuse new changes into a single patch by  `git add . && git commit
--ammend` or `git commit --fixup HEAD && git rebase master -i
--autosquash`
4. Upload patches by  `webkit-patch upload -g HEAD`

I don't have an objection that we merge a squashed patch into trunk to
simplify the history but we would have some chance to improve the script.

--
Tetsuharu OHZEKI
tetsuharu.ohzeki@gmail.com