List:       webkit-dev
Subject:    Re: [webkit-dev] WebKit Transition to Git
From:       Maciej Stachowiak <mjs () apple ! com>
Date:       2020-10-13 19:32:20

> On Oct 2, 2020, at 10:59 AM, Michael Catanzaro <mcatanzaro@gnome.org> wrote:
>
> On Fri, Oct 2, 2020 at 6:36 pm, Philippe Normand <philn@igalia.com> wrote:
> > Would you also consider preventing merge commits in order to keep a
> > clean mainline branch?
>
> Big +1 to blocking merge commits. Merge commits in a huge project like WebKit would \
> make commit archaeology very frustrating. (I assume this is implied by the \
> monotonic commit identifiers proposal, but it doesn't exactly say that.)

I'm assuming your objection is to regular merges, but how do you feel about squash \
merges? Or do you think all PRs should be landed by rebasing?

My own preference would be to require squash merge, because it keeps the history \
simple for the main branch, but does not risk putting intermediate revisions which \
may work or even build on the main branch.

 - Maciej