List:       webkit-dev
Subject:    Re: [webkit-dev] PSA: Bit fields won't be packed on Windows if you mix types
From:       Darin Adler <darin () apple ! com>
Date:       2020-09-04 18:14:54

> On Sep 3, 2020, at 11:14 PM, Fujii Hironori <fujii.hironori@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> BTW, I don't like to idea adding a new rule, but keeping old style code. It \
> introduces divergence between the guideline and actual code. Do we really need a \
> new rule that one doesn't necessary have to follow?

I understand that you don't like this.

But all of our style rules are like this. We don't apply them across our entire \
project at the moment we institute them. They guide the future of WebKit. So this is \
not a valid argument against adding a new rule.

You can help us apply a given rule to existing code if you feel strongly in a \
particular case, and in some cases it might be practical to quickly apply it \
everywhere relevant. Maybe in this case it is.

But that's not the basis for deciding whether to make it a rule.

— Darin