List:       webkit-dev
Subject:    Re: [webkit-dev] Platform.h vs. makefiles
From:       Darin Adler <darin () apple ! com>
Date:       2020-05-11 6:11:26

> On May 10, 2020, at 10:07 PM, Maciej Stachowiak <mjs@apple.com> wrote:
>
> I think the best way to configure WebKit is to use a separate data file, neither a \
> header nor a makefile or similar, that defines the options in a single place with \
> clear syntax. Then everything else is generated from that. Such a system could \
> cover runtime flags as well, which are even more scattered around the project than \
> compile-time flags.

Sounds OK. I worry a little about defining yet another language, but otherwise I do \
find this appealing. Perhaps some people would say that FeatureDefines.props from \
cmake could be that file?

Not sure literally a single data file is the best way to do this across multiple \
platforms/ports. I think PlatformEnableCocoa.h shows us that breaking this down can \
be helpful.

One file that has the master list of all the settings, and all the default values. \
Then other files that contain overlays for each port/configuration where they are \
different from the default.

My worry is that it could become complicated, like our TestExpectations files, which \
were once simple.

> Moving logic from build files to the header is probably a move in the right \
> direction, though of course it carries risk, particularly for less tested \
> configurations.

Yes, I'm not suggesting rushing to do it all at once in a mass change.

But for new things especially on Apple's Cocoa platforms, I'd like to avoid \
FeatureDefines.xcconfig and see new things in the PlatformEnableCocoa.h header file \
instead. Unless the defines need to affect the build system and not just the C++ \
code, I think the header file is superior.

— Darin