List:       webkit-dev
Subject:    Re: [webkit-dev] Same-Site cookies by default
From:       Maciej Stachowiak <mjs () apple ! com>
Date:       2020-03-07 22:41:35

> On Mar 6, 2020, at 6:58 PM, Patrick Griffis <pgriffis@igalia.com> wrote:
>
> On 2020-03-06 6:51 pm, John Wilander wrote:
> > Hi Patrick!
> >
> > Thanks for bringing this up. I'll share my view of where we are.
> >
> > First of all, cookies mostly live in the http layer so the various
> > WebKit ports would have to work this out independently to some extent.
> > Maybe libcurl and libsoup have readily available APIs for this?
>
> libsoup added samesite support this cycle implemented as the spec
> describes so I was wondering if we should add a toggle for this new
> behavior.
>
> > Second, we have communicated tentative support for SameSite=lax by
> > default, but in terms of its privacy protections, WebKit is far ahead
> > with its Intelligent Tracking Prevention (ITP, or Resource Load
> > Statistics in open source). Servers that expect to get default
> > third-party cookie access merely through a SameSite=none; Secure
> > configuration will find that such an option does not exist under ITP.
> > Instead, third-parties who need cookie access can make use of the
> > Storage Access API which gives users control and transparency.
>
> There are still ports without ITP; I understand the solution there is to
> implement ITP though :)

In current trunk, if your port has ITP fully supported, "SameSite=Lax by default" \
would be a no-op. If you don't have ITP, then it is a good fallback. If your port has \
a history of using ITP, or the older Safari/WebKit third-party cookie policy, then \
you will probably face lower compatibility risk than Chrome. If not, then watch out \
for compat issues.

I would urge ports to enable ITP if at all possible, and if you need help from Apple \
folks, we're happy to advise or otherwise help.

A thought I had while writing this: how should SameSite=Lax interact with Storage \
Access API? Can sites get access to Lax cookies using SAA, or do they need to be \
SameSite=None *and* you have to use SAA to get them? (I should probably file this as \
a spec issue against SAA).