List:       webkit-dev
Subject:    [webkit-dev] Feedback on Blink's text fragment directive proposal
From:       David Bokan <bokan () chromium ! org>
Date:       2019-12-02 20:22:04

[Attachment #2 (multipart/alternative)]

Hello webkit-dev,

I'd like to solicit feedback as well as an official position from Webkit on
our proposal for the text fragment directive:
https://github.com/WICG/ScrollToTextFragment.

In summary: this is a feature that allows authors and users to craft URLs
to pages and specify a snippet of text on the page as a subresource
(visually highlighting it and scrolling it into view). Analogous to
element-id based fragment anchors but for text.

You can try this out today in Chrome Beta by enabling
chrome://flags/#enable-text-fragment-anchor.
Here's an example link:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Uniform_Resource_Identifier#:~:text=An%20optional%20fragment,element%20into%20view

Relevant Links:

<https://github.com/WICG/ScrollToTextFragment/blob/master/README.md>
Explainer
<https://github.com/WICG/ScrollToTextFragment/blob/master/README.md>
Spec <https://wicg.github.io/ScrollToTextFragment/>
TAG Review <https://github.com/w3ctag/design-reviews/issues/392>
(Currently Suspended) Blink Intent Thread
<https://groups.google.com/a/chromium.org/forum/#!msg/blink-dev/zlLSxQ9BA8Y/NLbg84m0EAAJ>
 Issue on Mozilla standards-positions
<https://github.com/mozilla/standards-positions/issues/194>

We've been using the GitHub repo for issue tracking but happy to take
feedback (official or otherwise) in any form.

Thank you!
David