List:       webkit-dev
Subject:    Re: [webkit-dev] EWS Comments on Bugzilla (Was: EWS now parses error logs in case of build failure)
From:       Alexey Proskuryakov <ap () webkit ! org>
Date:       2019-11-04 17:39:47

[Attachment #2 (multipart/alternative)]

Can you elaborate on that, how exactly is e-mailing on first failure useful to \
reviewers?

Getting rid of Bugzilla comments was one of the goals of EWS rewrite, based on \
engineering feedback about noise in bugs and in e-mail, and I wholeheartedly agree \
with this feedback. So I think that comments are generally undesirable.

Since I don't understand what your precise scenario is, I may be make straw man \
arguments below, but here are some things that I think make the proposed behavior \
unhelpful (add a comment on first failure, or when all EWSes pass).

1. EWS comments in Bugzilla are so annoying that some people take the radical step of \
manually hiding them. EWS history is archived anyway, there is no need to look into \
comments for it.

2. There are often many people CC'ed on the bug to whom EWS data is irrelevant or \
even mysterious (e.g. reporters, web developers or non-reviewers). The noise is a \
slight annoyance, discouraging further participation in the project.

3. I believe that for most reviewers, the mode of operation is one of the two: (1) do \
it when pinged directly, or (2) go over the review queue when one has the time. \
Getting EWS comments helps neither.

4. Commenting when all EWSes pass is not very practical - it's too often that we have \
some stragglers that take days (or forever). I don't think that we can make it \
reliable even if we start actively policing EWS responsiveness.

5. The reviewer likely wants to know the state of multiple EWSes if they are going to \
wait for EWS at all. What exactly are they going to do after getting an e-mail that \
one EWS failed?

6. More bugmail delays response, especially for active project members who are CC'ed \
on a lot of bugs. I personally started reading bugmail more frequently now, knowing \
that there is more signal and less noise.

I can see the usefulness in the somewhat unusual case of a super urgent patch. We may \
want multiple people to watch it, so that members of CC list would go and ask the \
patch author to update it with more urgency than e-mail allows for. I think that \
opt-in is a better mechanism for that, so that people who opted in would receive \
information about each EWS data point.

- Alexey