List:       webkit-dev
Subject:    Re: [webkit-dev] Lazy loading
From:       Rob Buis <rbuis () igalia ! com>
Date:       2019-10-29 3:03:31

Apologies, it seems I spread some misinformation about CSS background
lazy loading, which Scott rectified.

On 10/29/19 12:36 AM, Maciej Stachowiak wrote:

> > > Is there a way for content authors to opt in/out (depending on the default), or \
> > > does this just always follow what the default lazy loading setting is?
> > From reading the chromium code, it seems to use a combination of feature policy \
> > and the loading attribute to decide whether to enable CSS backgrounds lazy \
> - I couldn't find a spec for a lazy loading feature policy either, and the Chrome \
> Platform Status page for it gives the status as "removed"[2] so this too might be a \
> nonstandard thing. Or maybe there is a newer  (Doesn't look like the feature policy \
> aspect is in your patch though.)
The prototype was done in February. I think Youenn was starting
implementation of feature policy at the same time or maybe later. Then
later I did not really touch CSS background lazy loading again, since
there were a lot of other issues instead to address, one of them being
the spec was changing over time. Will be happy with addressing it now,
though I am not sure how impactful it will be for users compared to lazy
image loading.
> I hope I am not being too nitpicky. I do think this is a great feature. I just want \
> to make sure we're cautious about the line between implementing standards-track \
> stuff vs copying things from Chromium that are nonstandard or unspecified (so far).

Understood.

Regards,

Rob.