List:       webkit-dev
Subject:    Re: [webkit-dev] Upstreaming from LayoutTests to web-platform-tests, coordinating Blink+WebKit
From:       Alexey Proskuryakov <ap () webkit ! org>
Date:       2017-11-28 18:13:34

[Attachment #2 (multipart/alternative)]

> 17 нояб. 2017 г., в 23:02, youenn fablet <youennf@gmail.com> \
> написал(а):
> Tests are available at https://w3c-test.org <https://w3c-test.org/> which makes it \
> easy to share through any tool supporting hyperlinks. A webarchive can also be made \
> so that it is easy to share and probably edit such tests. Tools like jsfiddle are \
> also a great way to create/share/edit tests. I received several bug reports on \
> bugzilla using it and this proved to be efficient.

I don't think that these are applicable verbatim, but there may be some solution. \
Let's find it before assuming that we can have it.

In particular,
- editing a WebArchive is not really feasible;
- jsfiddle is cool, but I can't just copy a WPT test to jsfiddle to share it.

> Let me explain why I think that WebKit tests are often more valuable as regression \
> tests than WPT tests are. We add tests as we fix bugs, so we know that the tests \
> are generally for problems that have a high impact on users and developers - that's \
> because someone actually discovered the problem, and someone prioritized it highly \
> enough to fix. We also know that our tests cover code that is error prone, which is \
> why we had bugs in the first place. Of course, anything can be broken, but certain \
> things are less likely to. Compliance tests written for specs are also valuable, \
> but at some point we need to prioritize which tests to investigate and even to run. \
>  I don't really see why we should prioritize the tests to run when all of them \
> provide clear value to some WebKit members.

We prioritize which tests to run all the time, there are whole configurations for \
which we don't run any tests. That's largely because it's not enough to simply run \
the tests - keeping them in a state where they produce actionable results requires a \
lot of attention.

The time it takes to run tests definitely matters a lot for WebKit. So far we haven't \
taken a route like the one Robert mentioned, with a huge amount of hardware running \
shards of tests. There are multiple reasons to that, one of those being that we are \
very interested in finding bugs below WebKit too, and having dedicated testers helps \
with that. When the machine gets into a weird state after a few weeks of uptime, it \
is much easier to start isolating the problem when we can see which specific queues \
are hitting it. It is also much easier to reason about data collected by centralized \
systems, such as crash log collection services.

- Alexey