List:       webkit-dev
Subject:    Re: [webkit-dev] Proposal: Remove ENABLE(MATHML)
From:       "Myles C. Maxfield" <mmaxfield () apple ! com>
Date:       2017-11-02 21:51:48

[Attachment #2 (multipart/alternative)]

I'd like to clarify my previous email.

Everyone wants to see high quality math rendering on the Web. MathML is a web \
standard, has two implementations (WebKit and Gecko), and is one of the most \
requested features in Chromium \
<https://bugs.chromium.org/p/chromium/issues/list?can=2&q=component:Blink&sort=-stars&colspec=ID%20Stars%20Pri%20Status%20Component%20Opened%20Summary> \
and Edge <https://developer.microsoft.com/en-us/microsoft-edge/platform/status/?q=sort:Votes>. \
Chromium is even in talks to add support. Clearly, MathML is part of the Web \
Platform.

I was not proposing that we pull MathML support from WebKit. Native support for \
MathML, rather than polyfilled support, leads to better experiences for our users for \
many reasons, among them performance and accessibility. Bugs (or even "quite a few \
bugs") is not sufficient evidence to pull a feature like this.

Instead, I was pointing out that MathML doesn't seem to be getting the love it \
deserves. I hope we can improve our support for MathML to make our implementation the \
best it can possibly be.

Thanks,
Myles