List:       webkit-dev
Subject:    Re: [webkit-dev] Proposal: Remove ENABLE(MATHML)
From:       Maciej Stachowiak <mjs () apple ! com>
Date:       2017-10-25 17:05:34

> On Oct 25, 2017, at 1:44 AM, Frédéric WANG <fred.wang@free.fr> wrote:
>
> On 24/10/2017 18:50, Maciej Stachowiak wrote:
> > I don't have a strong opinion on whether we should support disabling
> > MathML. My point is just that if we support disabling it, it should be
> > a runtime switch, not compile-time.
> > Good reasons to have a compile-time switch would be:
> > - Some ports want the code size savings
> > - It requires back-end code that is not available on all ports
> >
> > But neither of those is true.
> >
> > On the other hand, we might still want a runtime switch if some ports would like \
> > to disable the feature for reason of compatibility based on available fonts. I \
> > think it's up to port owners to say whether they want to disable the feature for \
> > this reason.
> Hi,
>
> I believe it is up to the platform owners to decide whether they want to
> provide math fonts by default ; depending on whether they want to
> privilege disk space or a better user experience.
>
> However, I still don't see the connection between available fonts and
> enabling MathML support. As I said, some pages with MathML provide the
> necessary WOFF math fonts while others just use basic math (fractions
> etc) where the default text fonts are enough. So the owners would be
> intentionally breaking these pages, just because they don't provide math
> fonts on their platforms ? That sounds weird, to me.

(1) Is it at all common to use MathML with a math font specified as a web font? Can \
you give an example?

(2) Is it at all common to use MathML only to the extent that it's rendered fine \
without a math font?

(3) In the cases above, is there usually an image fallback?

Why don't we wait to hear from port owners whether they would actually want to \
disable MathML for reason of compatibiltiy. Knowing answers to the above questions \
would help.