List:       webkit-dev
Subject:    Re: [webkit-dev] Support "registerProtocolHandler" in WebKit2
From:       Sam Weinig <weinig () apple ! com>
Date:       2015-07-04 17:24:55

(Sorry, had this sitting in my drafts).

My concern with the registerProtocolHandler() API is that it complicates an already \
the very complicated area of custom protocols and a good implementation requires \
configuration UI (to choose which of potentially multiple apps/websites you want a \
specific protocol to go to) that I am not sure users are in the position make.

That, coupled with the small existing usage on the web and very few (if any) reports \
from developers that they want this, leads me to think it isn't a good API for us to \
support.

From an implementation perspective I also have concerns.  How is this should the \
registration data be managed? Can it fit in the WebSiteData model we are using for \
other data? Does it account for non-persistent sessions?  And lastly, can we get the \
code size of supporting a feature like this to be smaller?

- Sam